Servings: 4-5 people
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1.5 pounds (3/4 kilo) chicken breast, cut into small 1-inch cubes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1.5 teaspoons ginger powder (or fresh grated ginger if preferred)
- 2/3 cup chicken broth (low sodium preferable)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 small green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mango, cut into small 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions (optional)
- 1/2 cup lightly toasted peanuts or cashews (optional)
- Heat butter and oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Saute until golden brown. The chicken does not have to be fully cooked.
- Add onion, garlic, and ginger and saute for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the broth, honey, soy sauce, vinegar, and mix everything together.
- Add green bell pepper slices and half of the mangoes and let it all simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the dissolved cornstarch and continue cooking, uncovered, until sauce thickens to your desired consistency.
- Mix in the remaining mangoes and garnish with thinly sliced green onions and lightly toasted peanuts or cashews.
This recipe is delicious served with either basmati, jasmine or coconut rice.