Looking for an indulgent twist the whole family will love? Bursting with blueberries that perfectly pair with the rich taste of cream cheese, this luscious blueberry cake will be an absolute delight at your Easter brunch table.
Chef Vanessa Gonzalez from Orei Catering has shared a special recipe of the best blueberry cake ever. We’d say the magic in this recipe is the flavorful taste of the cream cheese that’s mixed right into the batter. Whether you enjoy it as a breakfast dessert or as an afternoon snack, Orei’s Blueberry Cake will be the only cake you’ll want to eat for the rest of the year!
Preparation time: 30-40 minutes
Cooking time: 55-65 minutes
For the cake
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter softened
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups blueberries washed and dried
For the cake
- Preheat oven to 350/175c
- Grease a 9 inch baking pan and set aside.
- In a small heat-safe bowl, soften the butter and cream cheese together in the microwave until very soft, but not completely melted.
- Mix all the wet ingredients and sugar with the cream cheese mixture until combined. Mix in the remaining dry ingredients by hand.
- Fold in the blueberries (reserve some of them for after the batter added to the pan).
- Add the batter evenly to the pan and then place the blueberries evenly across the top of the batter.
Bake for 55-65 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean and the top is nicely browned.
For the cream cheese frosting
- 1⁄2 cup cream cheese (preferably Philadelphia)
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 ¼ powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Soften the butter and cream cheese together in the microwave until very soft, but not completely melted.
- Blend until smooth.
- Drizzle the icing over the cake and top with fresh blueberries.