Butternut Squash, Quinoa, Goat Cheese and Roasted Grape Salad
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 50-55 minutes
- 2 cups butternut squash, cut into 1” cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups red grapes
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups chicken broth (low sodium if possible)
- ½ cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon pepper, divided
- Handful thinly sliced basil
- Drizzle of quality balsamic vinegar or balsamic vinegar glaze
- Preheat oven to 415 degrees F (213 degrees C).
- On a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper, evenly spread butternut squash cubes so they are not overlapping and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Place into oven and roast for 35 – 40 minutes, or until soft and edges are brown, tossing squash about every 10 minutes.
- When squash has 10 minutes of cooking time remaining, place the grapes onto a small baking sheet and sprinkle with remaining ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Place in oven and roast for 10 minutes, or until grapes start to burst and wilt. Remove grapes from the oven and set aside until ready to assemble salad.
- Meanwhile, cook quinoa according to package instructions, substituting chicken broth for water. (If your quinoa package instructions calls for more than a 2:1 ratio of water to quinoa, please follow those proportions.) Once the quinoa is done cooking, set aside.
- To assemble the salad, in a large bowl, add quinoa, caramelized butternut squash, roasted grapes, crumbled goat cheese and basil. Mix well and serve warm or at room temperature. For a final touch, drizzle a small amount of balsamic vinegar or balsamic vinegar glaze over the salad before serving.
Note: You can make this salad ahead of time and refrigerate and reheat before serving. It keeps very well.