Baked Avocado Egg
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 large Hass avocado, ripe but firm
- 2 eggs (small to medium size)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Optional: cooked crumbled bacon, grated cheese, diced tomatoes, salsa
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (218C). Line a small baking dish with parchment paper. Look for a small baking dish that allows the avocado halves to stand upright.
- Cut the avocado in half lengthwise and remove the pit. Using a spoon, scoop out a little bit of the flesh of each avocado half. You want it to be large enough to accommodate a small-medium egg. You may also want to slice a very thin amount off of the bottom of the avocado halves so they sit flat, preventing the avocado from slanting and the egg potentially spilling.
- Season the avocado halves with half of the salt and black pepper, and place them in the prepared baking dish.
- Break each egg into a small bowl, then carefully slide the yolk into the center of each avocado half, followed by the white.
- Bake until the whites are set, about 15 minutes. If the egg yolks develop a thin crust while baking, remove it carefully with a small sharp knife. 6. Season the baked avocado egg with the remaining kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper and red pepper flakes, and garnish with chopped parsley. Optional, serve with crumbled cooked bacon, grated cheese, diced tomatoes or salsa. Serve immediately.